Renting a Home in Canada
You can use MLS.Canada to find a property to rent. Once you have narrowed your choices for a rental proprety, consider the following list of questions as you thoroughly inspect each potential unit. This pre-renting inspection checklist can be used to compare the quality of your choices.
- How much is rent?
- Is there a late charge for paying your rent after the due date?
- Can the rent be increased at any time during the lease?
- What is the length or term of the lease? Is it negotiable?
- How much advance notice must the residents give before the end of the lease
- If they plan to vacate?
- What are the requirements for a full refund of your security deposit?
- Is subleasing allowed? User what conditions?
- Who pays for water, sewage and garbage?
- Who is called for emergencies or repairs?
- Is there a list of rules and regulations for residents of the property?
- Is there a non-refundable cleaning fee or other charge? How much is it?
- Are there limits on the number of occupants in the apartment?
- Are pets allowed? Is there a pet deposit and is it refundable?
- Be sure to obtain a copy of the lease
- Does the building or unit have a security system?
- Is there a working smoke alarm?
- Does the apartment have adequate outdoor lighting?
- What happens if a key is lost?
- Is there a peephole installed?
- Is the refrigerator clean and in working condition?
- Is the heating system gas or electric? Is it in proper working order?
- If the apartment is carpeted, is it clean and in good condition?
- Do all of the fixtures, i.e. faucets, toilet, drains and drain stoppers in the bathroom work?
- Are there enough windows in the apartment? Do they lock?
- Is there a doorbell? If so, does it work?
- Is there ample study room for all occupants in the apartment?
- Is there sufficient closet space in the apartment?
- Is there a private yard? If so, who maintains it?
- Is the apartment air conditioned? Who will be responsible for replacing the filter?
- Are ceiling fans provided? If not, are they allowed?
- Will all of your furniture fit in the apartment?
- Does the complex have private recreational facilities?
- How far are grocery and convenience stores from the apartment?